Cleaning a bong can be an annoying job, but do this regularly so as not to let a dirty bong affect the taste of smoking. Cleaning a bong is not as difficult as you might think, but do this regularly so that smoke residues do not accumulate too much in your bong.
What you need to clean your bong:
- Tap water (hot)
- Epsom salt, table salt or baking soda
- Cleaning agent
- Pipe cleaners, test tube brush, cotton swabs
- Kitchen towel
- Bowl or bucket to immerse the parts in
How to clean a bong:
- Start by taking the bong apart so that each part can be cleaned. Remove all loose parts, such as the glass cone and the mouthpiece, if present;
- First rinse the bong as much as possible with hot water. Then let the bong dry;
- Then you continue with the cone and any mouthpiece. Pour Epsom salt or table salt or baking soda into these parts. For an average bong you need about 80 to 120 milligrams of salt. Tip: Use a funnel to easily pour the salt into the cone and mouthpiece;
- The next step is to use cleaning agent. Use a cleaning agent of your choice. For some this is isopropyl alcohol, for others it is vinegar or Listerine. All-purpose cleaner is not recommended. Pour a generous amount of cleaning agent into the bong. The amount obviously depends on the size of your bong, but a good amount to start with is 120 milliliters;
- Cover all openings with your hand so that the liquid does not come out and shake your bong. Do this for at least five minutes, and the more you shake the better;
- Then empty your bong into the sink and rinse it thoroughly with water. You can repeat this process if necessary, but with good maintenance, once is often sufficient;
- You can then clean the main part, the pipe. Use pipe cleaners, test tube brushes, cotton swabs or other tools so that you can properly scrub stubborn areas;
- Your bong is now clean and ready for use again!
- Use a bent wire clothes hanger with a piece of cloth or paper towel soaked in cleaning solution around it to clean difficult areas;
- Bottle brushes or teat brushes are also good tools;
- Do not use dishwashing liquid as this will make your bong taste like dishwashing liquid for a while;
- Most cleaners are flammable, so never use this while smoking;
- When using methylated spirits, it is advisable to do so in a well-ventilated area.